Online learning, also called e-learning includes all type of teaching and learning that occurs in an electronic format. The electronic learning environment includes in-network and out-of-network information and communication systems that are used as specific media to employ the process of learning.
Online learning is basically the shift of knowledge and skills via a computer and network. It includes educational experiences that occur both in and out of the classroom using various types of technology.
Common abbreviations of online learning include WBT (Web-Based Training), IBT (Internet-Based Training), and CBT (Computer-Based Training).
Processes and Applications
- The processes and applications of e-learning include computer-based learning, web-based learning, digital collaboration, and virtual classroom experiences.
- Learning content is presented through various media such as CD-ROM, satellite television, audio or videotape, Internet, and intranet/extranet.
- The content is presents in numerous forms such as text, images, audio, animation, and streaming video.
- The learning material can be led by instructors or self-paced by students.
Market of Online Learning
- An array of higher education institutions including colleges, universities, and vocational and technical schools are implementing online learning opportunities for students.
- An increasing amount of institutions are offering online courses to enable students to have more flexibility in their education while attending to other obligations such as work and families.
- Online education requires highly trained faculty who are competent and comfortable with using online learning environments.
- Students are generally satisfied with online courses and online learning is increasing rapidly and becoming one of the predominant types of higher education in the United States.
- An increasing amount of public K-12 schools in the United States are using online learning strategies.
- Some e-learning environments are present in traditional classrooms and others enable students to complete schoolwork from home or satellite locations.